Becoming her, One small step at a time.

So, last week you decided you were going to evolve.

You were tired of feeling stuck. Tired of repeating the same patterns. Tired of watching life happen around you while knowing there was another version of you somewhere inside—waiting to emerge.

You said, “Something has to change.”

And perhaps you entered this week expecting to feel different.

More disciplined.
More confident.
More organised.
More prayerful.
More courageous.

And true to this promise to yourself, the weekend might have been promising. It began with a strong resolve within you, I am changing, I am moving, I am evolving, its the season, its the time. Thank you Sumpie for this, this is really what I need;

But instead?

Monday came with its usual pressures.

Tuesday reminded you of an old habit you thought you were ready to leave behind.

By Wednesday, you were questioning whether anything was really changing at all.

And now you are looking at yourself thinking:

“Maybe I am not making progress.”

But what if you are?

What if the fact that you can now recognise what needs to change is already evidence that change has begun?

There was a time you did not even notice the pattern, now you notice it. There was a time you reacted, without thinking. now something inside you whispers, “There has to be another way. ”There was a time you accepted certain things as normal, now they make you uncomfortable.

Woman, that discomfort may actually be growth.

Some Growth Happens Underground

Think about a seed. When it is planted, there is a period when absolutely nothing seems to be happening. You can walk past the soil every morning and see the same brown earth, no leaves, no flowers, no fruit. nothing impressive enough to photograph, yet beneath the surface, something very important is happening, the seed is breaking, roots are forming, life is reaching downward before it ever reaches upward and perhaps that is where you are right now.

You are looking for the flower, while God is strengthening the roots. You are looking for visible results, while your thinking is changing.

Your boundaries are changing.

Your appetite is changing.

Your prayers are changing.

Your awareness is changing.

Your courage is slowly changing.

Do not dig up the seed simply because you cannot yet see the plant.

Give yourself permission to grow.

Ruth Did Not Arrive in Bethlehem as “The Ruth We Know”

I love Ruth’s story because we often read it from the end.

We know Boaz is coming, we know restoration is coming, we know that eventually Ruth will become part of the lineage of King David—and ultimately the earthly lineage of Jesus.

But Ruth did not know any of that when she arrived in Bethlehem.

She arrived as a widow.

A foreigner.

A woman starting again with very little certainty about what her future would look like.

And then she did something remarkably ordinary.

She went to gather leftover grain.

“Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain behind anyone in whose eyes I find favor.” Ruth 2:2

No grand strategy.

No dramatic announcement.

No instant transformation.

Just one woman saying, essentially:

“What can I do today with what I have?”

And she went to the field.

She picked one stalk.

Then another.

Then another.

Can you imagine how insignificant that activity may have looked?

But those ordinary steps placed Ruth in the very environment where the next chapter of her life would unfold, sometimes evolution looks like that. Not a dramatic reinvention. Just getting up and doing the next right thing.

Sending the application.

Reading ten pages.

Praying again.

Saving the small amount.

Making one difficult phone call.

Saying no where you would normally say yes.

Apologising.

Starting the course.

Taking the walk.

Opening the notebook.

Trying again after yesterday did not go well.

Do not despise those moments.

Scripture reminds us:

“Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin.”Zechariah 4:10

Notice that.

God rejoices to see the work begin.

Maybe you should too.

Extend Grace to the Woman Who Is Learning

One of the greatest mistakes we make when trying to change is expecting the new version of ourselves to appear overnight. We decide to become more disciplined on Sunday and become angry with ourselves when Thursday still looks messy. But evolution requires grace. Grace does not mean making excuses for yourself; Grace means understanding that becoming takes time. You can hold yourself accountable without bullying yourself. You can acknowledge where you fell short without declaring yourself a failure.

You can say:

“I did not handle that well today, but I handled it better than I would have six months ago.”

That matters.

“I still became afraid, but this time I spoke anyway.”

That matters.

“I wanted to give up, but I rested and continued.”

That matters.

“I am not where I want to be financially, emotionally or spiritually, but I am finally paying attention.”

That matters.

Celebrate the woman who is learning.

She deserves your encouragement too.

Keep Evidence That You Are Becoming

Sometimes progress is so gradual that you forget how far you have travelled. So document it, so that you don't loose every detail of the journey ,write down the small wins, Perhaps create a simple “Becoming Journal.”

At the end of each week, ask yourself:

What did I notice about myself this week?

What did I do differently?

What difficult thing did I face instead of avoiding?

Where did I choose differently from the old me?

What small step am I proud of?

What is God teaching me in this season?

After a few months, go back and read your answers.

You may discover that the woman you kept saying had not changed has actually been changing all along.

Quietly.

Gradually.

Beautifully.

Maybe This Week Wasn’t a Failure After All

Maybe you did not accomplish everything you planned , maybe there are still habits to unlearn, maybe some days the old woman still feels louder than the woman you are becoming.

That is okay.

Ruth did not become the woman in Ruth chapter four on the first day she entered the field, she simply kept showing up. And the seed does not apologise for being a shoot before becoming a tree.

Neither should you.

Pay attention to the roots, celebrate the shoot. Thank God for the one stalk of grain. Celebrate every small sign that something inside you is shifting. Because perhaps your assignment in this season is not to suddenly arrive. Perhaps it is simply to keep becoming.

One decision.

One prayer.

One boundary.

One courageous conversation.

One small beginning at a time.

And one day, you may look back and realise:

The transformation you were waiting for had already begun the moment you decided you could no longer remain the same.

A Question for the Evolving Woman

What is one small change in yourself that you have been overlooking because it did not seem significant enough to celebrate?

Write it down today.

Thank God for it.

And build from there.

Your small beginning is still a beginning. And that is worth celebrating.

Comments

  1. This is so encouraging to celebrate every win and stop being my own worst critic.... I am becoming and I am going to enjoy it all the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear Sumpie for the eye opening insights. Indeed there is need to extend grace to the woman who is learning. I agree some seasons make us feel stuck but also recognising that its the very ground/foundation for becoming into a better version is worth it. It requires honesty, faith and hard work.
    Thank you for encouraging this woman to remain rooted and grounded to becoming.
    Iam on this journey but trust me your mentorship had made this journey persuable for me, iam becoming the reigning woman😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding yourself